- An innovative approach to the subject, explaining each area of a locomotive and its practical operation from the perspective of the railwayman roles – cleaner, fireman and driver.
- Types of locomotive and how they work – boiler, cylinders, valve gear, brakes.
The cleaner – cleaning and lubrication.
- The fireman – lighting up, fireman’s cab controls, adding water, types and shapes of fire, coupling-up, duties on the road, end-of-day duties.
- The driver – from fireman to driver, dawn duties, driver’s cab controls, driving procedure, types of journey, understanding signals, end-of-day duties.
- Appendices detailing emergencies and faults, a study of different loco footplates, where to find steam today, useful contacts.